Donald H. Grim is Of Counsel with Sherman Sherman Johnnie & Hoyt. He concentrates his practice on tax, estate planning, probate, trust administration, business, and civil litigation. He has appeared before the Ninth Circuit Bankruptcy Appellate Panel, Federal District Court, United States Bankruptcy Court, United States Tax Court, Oregon State Circuit Court, Oregon State Tax Court, and Oregon State Supreme Court.
Don spends much of his time preparing estate plans and assisting trustees with trust administration. He also spends considerable time litigating probate and trust matters, as well as other civil cases. Business planning often fills in the remainder of his time.
Don frequently provides tax advice and handles controversies arising between taxpayers and the Internal Revenue Service, Oregon Department of Revenue, and Oregon’s county assessors. He assists taxpayers (businesses and individuals) with audits, installment plans, offers in compromise, responsible officer penalties, and tax court litigation.
In the 2017 and 2018 editions of the Oregon Super Lawyers magazine, Don was recognized as a Super Lawyer. In 2013 through 2016, he was recognized as a Rising Star, an honor limited to no more than 2.5 percent of the lawyers in the state.
A native Oregonian, Don grew up fishing and hiking in the Willamette Valley and Coast Range mountains; activities that he still pursues. He also spends a significant amount of time on the ocean in search of salmon, tuna, and other denizens of the deep in his 22 foot aluminum boat, “O-Sea-D.”
Don earned his undergraduate degree from Oregon State and his law degree from the University of Oregon. His experience in his family’s lumber and real estate companies eventually led him to a career in law.
Professional and Community Service
- Oregon Super Lawyers, 2017-2018
- Rising Star, Oregon Super Lawyers, 2013-2016
- Oregon State Bar Debtor-Creditor Section
- Oregon State Bar Taxation Section
- Oregon State Bar Estate Planning Section
- Oregon State Bar Elder Law Section
- American Bar Association
- Author/Speaker, Broadbrush Taxation “Bankruptcy and Tax,” Oregon State Bar CLE, October 2011.
- Author/Speaker, “Bankruptcy Basics – An Introduction to Chapter 7 and Chapter 13,” National Business Institute CLE, November 2010.
- Author, “Dealing with Bankruptcy’s 180 Day Dragnet,” Oregon Debtor-Creditor Newsletter, spring 2010.
- Author, “Retirement Plans at Risk of Seizure,” Oregon Debtor-Creditor Newsletter, fall 2009.
- Author, “Homestead Exemption at Risk,” Oregon Debtor-Creditor Newsletter, spring 2007.